If you have a question for Athens’ Own that you do not see an answer to below, please submit it as a comment at the bottom of this page.
What does Sustainability mean?
- Sustainability is the ability of something or someplace to continue on operating in the same way it does now. It also refers to the ability of an area to meet the needs of all its residents for the foreseeable future.
What does Resilience mean?
- Resilience is closely connected to sustainability. Resilience is the capacity of a place or thing to not only respond to change, but to “bounce forward” from change. In the event of a catastrophe or other change, a resilient community could continue on operating as normal during and after such an event.
Why are sustainability and Resilience important in Athens?
- Athens has a unique style and community. The foundation already exists for true resilience and sustainability, due to Athens’ great focus on locally-sourced products, sustainable systems, and local culture. Being located in Appalachia,we are situated in an area identified as high-risk for many problems, particularly social issues. However, the remote, natural setting of Appalachia also provides a great canvas for greater self-reliance of communities. Through our practices, we hope we can grow a model of how things could be better.
Learn more about resilience and community circles in this great multimedia project by our friend Kaitlyn Bernauer (Opens in new window):
Who is Constantine?
- Constantine Faller is the creator and Steward of Athens’ Own. He is also the main manager of all of Athens’ Own’s operations. He personally delivers and oversees all of Athens’ Own products, and directly communicates with our collaborative partners. He is also the creator of Dawn Chorus Coffee, and several other Athens’ Own products, under the “Faller Foods” logo.
What is the difference between Faller Foods and Athens’ Own?
- Faller foods is our product logo. It encompasses not only Constantine’s products, but also a few other producers who don’t have their own name brand. The “Faller Foods” name guarantees that the product is high-quality, locally grown/ raised, and/or value-added. On the other hand, Athens’ Own refers to the company which supplies, markets, and distributes the products. Athens’ Own also participates in many actions beyond food distribution, including community service, creating cooperative systems, and DIY/ mentorship educational opportunities.
Is “Constantine’s” a Restaurant? Where is it?
- Having trained at the Culinary Institute of America, Constantine not only creates food products to sell, but also is his own mobile restaurant. The Athens’ Own mobile kitchen provides Constantine with a way to serve food wherever needed. The mobile kitchen is a valuable resource to have in the event of an emergency situation, but it serves many other purposes as well, including providing delicious, fresh-cooked meals anywhere, anytime. You can find “Constantine’s On State” at the Athens Farmer’s Market every Saturday. The menu varies, but he almost always has cheesy grits, made with local corn, Athens’ Own aged cheddar, and Snowville Creamery products. “Constantine’s” products and foods can be found at many locations around Athens. Check our products and partners pages to learn more about where you can find them.
Where is Athens’ Own Located?
- The Athens’ Own office and headquarters is located at the Broadwell Hill Learning Center, near Stewart, Ohio. However, the operations of Athens’ Own occur all around Athens. Our various partner businesses are located both in Athens and the surrounding communities. Athens’ Own also operates a booth at the Athens Farmer’s Market every Saturday.
Who does Athens’ Own work with?
- The Athens’ Own team consists of community businesses, local connections, and Ohio University Students. We also work with many non-profit organizations to actively provide resources, support, and encouragement.
What does it mean to be a collaborative partner?
- To be a collaborative partner means that both the partner and Athens’ Own work together in one way or another to provide beneficial services to each other.
- For information on our current partners, how to become an Athens’ Own partner, and the benefits of being a partner, please visit this page: Athens’ Own Partners
What are Athens’ Own Products, and Where can I buy them?
- For a complete list of Athens’ Own products and seller locations, please visit our product information page: Athens’ Own Products
How can I get involved with Athens’ Own?
- Visit our Internship Information section (Link is located on the home page or on the top navigation bar) for details on our internships and volunteer opportunities.
- For all other inquiries, please visit our Contact Us page.